Planning and Zoning
The City of Elgin's Municipal Code regulates development within the city. Our zoning regulations govern land use, building height and density, parking requirements, signage regulations, and the character of development on private property, as well as property uses.
While zoning ordinances vary from city to city, areas are typically designated for residential, business, mixed-use, or industrial uses. So before you embark on a new project, be sure to contact us first! Based on your project’s location, the Community Development Department will alert you if your project is located in an arterial road corridor overlay district (ARC) or historic preservation overlay zone (Historic District). If the property is located within a Historic Preservation Overlay Zone, you will need to complete a Certificate of Appropriateness application prior to any work being done, but that won't need to be completed right away.
Once you complete the Zoning Inquiry Form, you will be notified of the options available to you.
Congrats, your business is either fully or conditionally allowed at your desired location!
1) If your business is fully allowed, you are ready for the next step. Once you are ready to move forward, you can visit the city of Elgin's website to access the Application for Business Occupancy.
2) If your business is Conditionally allowed, it means that your proposed business will have to go through the Conditional Use Zoning Approval process. This entails additional fees and applications as well as a public hearing. Contact Community Development for more information on this process. Completing this process does not guarantee your zoning will be approved.
Your business is not allowed at your desired location, but that does not mean you are stuck. You have two paths forward available to you:
1) Find an alternate location where your business could be allowed. Connect with one of our business partners for help in finding a new location. You can find their information in the business resources page.
2) Proceed with a Conditional Use Zoning Approval process. This entails additional fees and applications as well as a public hearing. Contact Community Development for more information on this process. Completing this process does not guarantee your zoning will be approved.
You can view the conditional use application here. Contact community development for help in completing this application.
- Full City Zoning Map
- Northeast Quadrant Zoning Map
- Northwest Quadrant Zoning Map
- Southeast Quadrant Zoning Map
- Southwest Quadrant Zoning Map
If you need assistance in completing the Zoning Inquiry Form, you can contact staff by calling 311 or emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also come into the office at City Hall anytime Monday - Thursday 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. or Friday 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.