While most minor repairs do not require a building permit, many projects may only be performed after securing a permit from Community Development. All work will have to be inspected to ensure compliance with the City's building codes.

Owner-occupants of single family residences may do most of their own work; however, electrical service upgrades must be done by a licensed electrician. Commercial, industrial, and multi-family construction projects generally require licensed and bonded contractors.

You can find out if your project requires a building permit by contacting 311. For fee information, view the Building Permit Fee Schedule

Contractor Requirement - Letter of Intent

The City of Elgin requires a letter of intent from all licensed contractors. The letter(s) of intent must be stamped with a company seal, or sealed by a notary public on company letter head. General Contractors will be required to submit a letter of intent for each of his licensed sub-contractors. The City of Elgin will not be able to issue any permits until the letters of intent have been received. 

Completed applications can be submitted via mail or in person, Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.


  • Building Permit Application for Small Projects
    This permit application type is for projects which will include 1 to 2 contractors. These are typically remodel projects, such as a basement remodel, installation of a new emergency egress opening in an existing basement, window replacement, re-roofing, residing, furnace replacement, water heater replacement, etc.
  • Building Permit Application for Large Projects
    This permit application type is for larger residential projects which involve multiple contractors for framing, electrical, plumbing, and/or HVAC work being done. This permit application is also used for commercial/industrial tenant build-outs, as well as new commercial/industrial or new multi-family construction projects.
  • New Residential Construction Application
    This permit application type is for new, single family home construction permits.
  • Business Occupancy Application
    This application is for new businesses to obtain a certificate of occupancy when moving into a tenant space/building or when an existing business is expanding into adjacent spaces within the building they are currently occupying.
  • Home Business Occupancy Application
    This application is required when a person wishes to obtain a certificate of occupancy to start a home business.
  • Temporary Occupancy Application
    This application is required when a business wishes to obtain a certificate of occupancy for a space within a building for a period of 180 days or less.
  • Sign Permit Application
    This application is required when a business wants to install a new sign or reface an existing sign.

Check for Open Permits

Prevent delays when you sell your home! The city cannot issue a transfer stamp for a property with outstanding issues, such as an open permit. An open permit is one where either the contractors or homeowner did not call the city to conduct the final inspection. The most common type of open permit is for a fence, shed, re-roofing, or hot water heater. Enter your address at the link below to see if your property has any permits with the “APPROVED” status. If so, call 311 (from within Elgin) or (847) 931-5920 (if outside the city limits) to schedule an inspection for that permit. Or, you can email your request. Please have ready (or include) your address and permit number for faster service. Click here to check for an open permit.

  1. Community Development

    Physical Address
    150 Dexter Court
    Elgin, IL 60120

    Phone: 847-931-5920
    Fax: 847-931-6790

    Department Hours
    Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

    Planning & Zoning Counter Review Hours
    (Planners are available for items requiring planner review and approval)
    Monday - Thursday 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
    Friday 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.